Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Inaugural Post

So, since getting an internet capable cell phone, I've been reading a lot of friends and families blogs. It got me wanting to start a blog, but for a while I lacked the giddy up to do it. I kinda wondered what I would ever even write in a blog, but when my niece, Rachel Taylor, started her own blog she inspired me enough to finally do it. So.....welcome to me, and hurray!

..................................................................................................................................................

So, today in my Psychology of Interpersonal Relationships class we talked about some things that got me thinking. We talked about how physical appearance and attractiveness tend to affect the way we view others, and treat them. The professor asked for examples from students who may have seen this or participated in this. As the class was discussing the topic and sharing examples, I became increasingly aware of my own shallow judgements of those I had merely laid eyes on. For example, recently I saw a billboard featuring the radio personalities of a morning show I listen to often and it totally changed what I thought of them. Before seeing what they looked liked I thought they sounded like pretty cool guys. When I saw them on the billboard my first thought was "what a bunch of losers." I'm ashamed to say that after thinking about it, I make those kind of snap judgments about people often. It seems to be one of those sad,but true parts of human nature. Well, I hope to be able to overcome the natural man, and become slower to judge others.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you found the gippy up to start your own blog. Very cool

Michael Taylor said...

Welcome to the Blog-o-sphere!!

Victoria said...

You made Rachel's week!

Your class points out the underlying truth of how we act or react to people and animals. By recognizing those common initial feelings we can be humbled and try to get to know people better, no matter the outward appearance.

Great post and welcome to blogland! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so Glad I am an inspiration. I'm on cloud 9 right now Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Although it is a human fault to judge others by their appearance, it is nonetheless something that happens. I guess that is why we are encouraged to dress and groom ourselves neatly. It is important how we look to others (not in a vain way), but we shouldn't make judgements about others who may dress or groom themselves in an unfortunate way. Perhaps we could just help them to be better without passing judgement.